Every family tree produces some nuts. ~Unknown

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pushing the Limits

This week has been a trying one for my Natalie. She is testing her boundaries and pushing the limits, many times farther then she should. We have had a few trials this week, at least for me it is a trial. God is teaching me patience, great, giant heaps of patience!
Our first big issue of the week, aside from the normal disobedience she displays, and occasional disrespect, we found Natalie had been taking water into her room from the bathroom using her toy cups, and dumping it all over her play table. She attempted to clean it up some by using her miniature apron to soak it all up but was unsuccessful due to the volume of water. This is not usually an issue, ever since she was able to walk, she has had other interests then to get into cupboards or drawers, toilets or the bathroom sink. I have never felt I had to be especially watchful unless it came to the computer or TV stand, Natalie's love of technology developed very early! Of course we have always had the standard precautions, and a baby proof kitchen and bathroom, but at the age of 4 I felt she was past the need for this. So after this happened, Jon and I stepped aside and talked. He felt no spanking was warranted because it wasn't something we had specifically told her not to do, so how could we spank her for disobedience, I on the other hand felt it was a common knowledge sort of thing, I know she knows better. If she decides to slam her brother's fingers in the door she is getting a spanking, even though I have never told her specifically not to do that. If she tried to go play in the toilet she would get in trouble, even though we have never come out and told her not too. In the end, we did not spank her. Though I disagreed, I respected his opinion and responsibility as the head of our household, but she did get a brief time out.
Which leads me to Natalie's next misadventure, sunblock. As I already said, it has never in the recent year occurred to me to keep the sunblock out of her reach. She has never shown an interest in getting into certain areas, including the bathroom mirror. Unfortunately her curiosity had finally reached its peak and she found her way into my whole stash of sunblock. I probably don't need them all, but I have sunblock for babies in 3 different brands, I have spray on sunblock for the scalp, I have it for sensitive skin and for faces, I even have some tanning lotion, though that is actually Jon's (like I would dare try to tan with my fair skin!). Luckily while Natalie pulled each one out, she decided on only using one. She rubbed it all up her arms, on her face and into her hair a little. Then she proceeded to do her act of kindness for the day by helping the mirror, counter top and floor get their fair share of UV blocking lotion for the next time they should step out into the beating sun. Where was I? I was ignorantly spending my last few minutes of Zachary's nap relaxing before I hopped into a quick shower. Natalie came out to join me in fact, just as I was about to pick out my clothes, and she reeked of sunblock! At first I assumed she just put some on herself, her hair was a little greasy, and of course their was that smell, and she received a spanking for getting into the lotion. Then I discovered her bathroom as I went in search of the bottle. My patience had to double in order for me to keep a calm tone as I sent her to sit on her bed until my anger abated. I cleaned up the greasy mess, hurrying, still hoping I had time for a shower, and eventually went back in to talk to her, spanking spoon in hand. As I said, God has blessed us with a new trial, and another and another! Natalie has been struggling lately with taking her punishments well. She does one of 2 things, screams and throws a huge fit, obviously angry for it, or she covers her mouth looks down and tries very hard not to laugh or smile, very unsuccessfully I might add. These are both after her spankings, and sometimes before as well. This time it was the hidden smile. She cried as I gave her 4 swats, and when we again talked about why she had gotten them, she tried very hard to conceal that inner smile. The first spanking had not done its job. Natalie was not repentant of what she had did, but in fact still thought it was a joke. And we repeated the spanking and smiling process 4 times before she finally seemed to understand what she did was wrong, and not something to laugh about.
I know God is working hard on me on days like that. He is teaching me patience and hands on parenting. As we often tell Natalie, if we don't discipline you, you won't learn, and God will discipline us for disobeying Him as He commands us to teach you right from wrong. And we tell her not only for her benefit, but as a reminder for us as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment